also In this section
Guidelines for Filming in the New Forest
The New Forest Code of Practice
This code of practice sets out the standards that Film:New Forest require production companies and/or their sub-contractors to follow whilst filming in New Forest District.
1. Production companies and/or their sub-contractors filming in the New Forest must adhere to relevant guidance in Creative UK’s Filming in England ‘Guidance Centre of Resources’. This includes:
- Filming in England Code of Practice
- Covid-19 Industry Advice and Resources
- Guidance on Sustainable Production Practices
- Drone Guidance (also see Aerial Footage of New Forest)
- Filming Consent
- Working with Child Performers
- Filming in Public Spaces and on Pavements
2. It is recognised that most production companies act in a responsible and professional manner. However, all production companies and/or their sub-contractors must take their surroundings into consideration and productions must be sympathetic to the environment that is to be used and appropriate caution must be taken for filming in sensitive areas or at unsocial times. New Forest District Council, as the local authority, has a duty of care towards residents and businesses and will exercise control if a particular production is causing an unreasonable nuisance or noise.
3. The Production shall inform the appropriate police force and/or appropriate emergency service as well as Film:New Forest of all proposed filming on the street and/or in a public space as detailed in the Police and Emergency Services’ section of the Filming in England Code of Practice.
4. The staging of crimes and accidents, plus use of firearms (including prop and replica firearms) and special effects shall be agreed in advance of the shoot, with the relevant police service, the relevant emergency service and Film:New Forest as detailed in the Police and Emergency Services’ section of the Filming in England Code of Practice.
5. In addition, the Production shall inform the police service and/or appropriate emergency service when filming involves celebrities who may cause security or crowd control issues.
6. If the production requires a road closure or other permissions from the landowner or responsible authority, reasonable notice must be given to process your application.
For road closures:
- Information about road closure orders and how to apply can be found on New Forest District Council’s website at: www.newforest.gov.uk/article/1044/Road-Closure-Orders
- Information about filming on Highways can be found on Hampshire County Council’s website at: www.hants.gov.uk/business/filmhampshire/filming-on-highways
Our top priority is the public health and safety needs of our community. When planning your filming project in the New Forest , you need to make sure it can take place safely, implementing the most current government guidelines.
Filming in England have developed comprehensive production guidance & advice here.
Comprehensive Covid-19 guidance for productions is also available from the British Film Commission.